Crowmarsh-Gifford (St. Mary Magdalene)
CROWMARSH-GIFFORD (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union and parliamentary borough of Wallingford, hundred of Langtree, county of Oxford, ½ a mile (E.) from Wallingford; containing 330 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 6. 0½., and in the gift of the Trustees of Dr. Barrington, late Bishop of Durham: the tithes have been commuted for £247, and the glebe consists of one acre. The church is a small Norman edifice, with two circular windows at the west end. In the parish are some remains of fortifications, supposed to have been raised by Stephen, either in 1139, when he besieged the Empress Matilda in Wallingford Castle, or in 1153, when he laid siege to that town.