Crowhurst (St. George)
CROWHURST (St. George), a parish, in the union of Godstone, First division of the hundred of Tandridge, E. division of Surrey, 4 miles (S. E.) from Godstone; containing 350 inhabitants. It is crossed by the Dovor railway, and comprises by computation 2000 acres, of which 1150 are arable, and 780 meadow and pasture. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £65; patron and impropriator, George Rush, Esq., whose tithes have been commuted for £261. 7., and who has a glebe of nearly 2 acres. The church is in the early style, with a tower and spire; in the interior are several brasses to the Gaynsfords and others, and the windows contain remains of stained glass. According to tradition, Henry VIII., on his way to Anna Boleyn at Hever Castle, visited Crowhurst Place, formerly the seat of the Gaynsfords, an old mansion surrounded by a moat.