Crowcombe (Holy Trinity)
CROWCOMBE (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Williton, hundred of Williton and Freemanners, W. division of Somerset, 10 miles (N. W. by N.) from Taunton; containing, with the hamlet of Flaxpool, 673 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Taunton to Minehead, and comprises 3177 acres, of which 683 are common or waste land: the surface is finely varied, and the hills command an extensive view of the greater part of Somersetshire, the Bristol Channel, and the Welsh coast. Some veins of copper have been found in the sides of the Quantock hills, and in the churchyard; and coal is supposed to exist in the western portion of the parish. Stone is quarried for building, and for burning into lime. The place was formerly of greater importance than it is at present; it was a borough, and the inhabitants enjoyed various privileges: a portreeve is still annually chosen at the court leet of the lord of the manor. At the entrance of the village is an ancient cross, in good preservation. A weekly market was granted in the reign of Henry III., and three annual fairs were once held; but the market has been long discontinued, and of the fairs, only one is held, on the 31st of October. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £32. 14. 4½.; patron, Robert Harvey, Esq. The church is an ancient edifice, built of hewn stone, and having a tower surmounted by an octagonal spire, which was struck down by lightning in 1723, and repaired at a cost of £231: the interior was neatly fitted up in 1534, with well carved oak; and the north aisle, a handsome addition to the original structure, was built by the Carews, to whom there are several fine monuments. Fragments of a cross are visible in the churchyard, and opposite to the church are the remains of another. Thomas Carew, in 1733, founded and endowed a school, of which the income amounts to £41; and there is another, supported by a bequest by the Rev. Dr. James, with which land was purchased, now yielding about £12 annually: they are on the national system. In the vicinity of the courthouse is a spring which ebbs and flows with the tide. Near the village is some land called the Field of Battle, where an engagement is said to have taken place during Monmouth's rebellion.