Crosthwaite (St. Kentigern)
CROSTHWAITE (St. Kentigern), a parish, in the union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, ½ a mile (N. by W.) from Keswick; containing 4759 inhabitants, and comprising the townships of Borrowdale, Braithwaite, Coledale, Newlands, Thornthwaite, St. John's Castlerigg with Wythburn, Keswick, and Underskiddaw. This parish comprises 28,000 acres, of which 18,800 are common or waste; it produces copper and lead ores, with plumbago or black-lead, and abounds with interesting objects, noticed in the article on Keswick. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £50. 8. 11½.; net income, £312; patron, the Bishop of Carlisle; impropriators, Sir John B. Walsh, Bart., and others. The church, an ancient fabric, was roofed with slate in 1812, having been previously covered with lead: here lies buried the poet Southey, on whose monument is an inscription by the laureate Wordsworth. Adjoining the churchyard is a free school, founded and endowed prior to 1571, and having an income of about £100 per annum. There are separate incumbencies at Borrowdale, Newlands, Thornthwaite, St. John's Castlerigg, Wythburn, and Keswick. Two saline springs here were formerly in great repute among the inhabitants.