CROPTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Middleton, union and lythe of Pickering, N. riding of York, 4¼ miles (N. W. by N.) from Pickering; containing 335 inhabitants. The township comprises by computation 3824 acres, of which about 2000 are open moorland: the village adjoins Cawthorn, on the eastern acclivities of the dale of the small river Seven. Excellent limestone is obtained, and burnt into lime for building and agricultural purposes. The tithes were commuted for land in 1765. Here is a chapel of ease; also a place of worship for Wesleyans; and an estate, producing about £23 per annum, is appropriated to the support of a school. There are various tumuli, thought to be British, and a high mount called Cropton Castle; and at Cawthorn, within two miles, are vestiges of a Roman camp.