Cropredy (St. Mary)
CROPREDY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union, and chiefly in the hundred, of Banbury, but partly in the hundred of Bloxham, county of Oxford, and partly in the Burton-Dasset division of the hundred of Kington, S. division of the county of Warwick, 4 miles (N. by E.) from Banbury; comprising the chapelries of Claydon, Wardington, and Mollington, and the township of Bourton; and containing 2727 inhabitants. This place is memorable as the scene of an engagement that occurred in 1644, between the forces of the royal army and those of the parliament, near Cropredy bridge, of which structure some portions still remain, consisting of a projecting pier, a pointed arch, and a round arch, the last built in 1697. The parish is situated on the river Cherwell, and comprises by computation 7000 acres; the soil is chiefly a rich loam, producing abundant crops, and there is a considerable portion of meadow and pasture land. The Oxford canal passes through the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £26. 10. 10.; net income, £592; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Oxford. The tithes for the greater portion have been commuted for land, under various acts of inclosure; a rent-charge of £121 is paid to the bishop, and one of £123 to the vicar. The church is mostly in the decorated English style, and contains monuments to the families of Danvers, Loveday, Gostelow, and Taylor. There are chapels of ease at Claydon, Mollington, and Wardington; and places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans. Walter Calcott, in 1575, endowed a free school at Williamscott, which see.