Cromwell (St. Giles)
CROMWELL (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Southwell, N. division of the wapentake of Thurgarton, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 5¼ miles (N.) from Newark; containing 203 inhabitants, and comprising about 1400 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 2. 3½.; net income, £430; patron, the Duke of Newcastle. The tithes were commuted for land in 1773; the glebe consists of 248 acres, with a good glebe-house. The tower and chancel of the church, which are ancient, are in the early English style, and a window in the chancel is a beautiful specimen of the decorated. A boys' and girls' school is held in a room belonging to the rector, and is chiefly supported by him.