Cromhall (St. Andrew)
CROMHALL (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Thornbury, Upper division of the hundred of Berkeley, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 2½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Wickwar; containing, with the tything of Cromhall-Lygon, 732 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Wotton-under-Edge to Bristol; and derives the name Abbotts, affixed to one of its tythings, from its having belonged to the abbots of St. Augustine's in Bristol, to whom it was given by Lord Berkeley in 1148. The parish comprises 2579 acres, whereof 272 are common or waste. The high lands abound with excellent limestone, of which a great quantity is burnt into lime; and a coal-mine has been opened within the last few years, but being on the edge of the coal basin the veins are broken, and the produce is small and slaty. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 9. 2., and in the gift of Oriel College, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for £452, and the glebe comprises 85 acres with a glebehouse. The church, with the exception of the tower, which is of earlier date, and placed on the north side, is a handsome structure in the later English style. There are some remains of a cell on Abbotside Hill.