Croft (St. Michael)
CROFT (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Leominster, hundred of Wolphy, county of Hereford, 5½ miles (N. N. W.) from Leominster; containing, with the detached township of Newton, 144 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1581 acres; it is of undulated surface, and the scenery is extensive and beautiful. The land is divided into equal portions of arable and pasture, with some excellent oak-timber, particularly at Croft Park, surrounding the mansion. There is a limestonequarry. The living is a discharged rectory, with the vicarage of Yarpole annexed, valued in the king's books at £7. 11. 3., and in the patronage of W. T. K. Davies, Esq.; net income, £330. The tithes of Croft have been commuted for £120; and there is a glebe of 71½ acres, with a house. The church is ancient, and contains a beautiful monument to one of the Croft family. A national school is supported by subscription. At Castle Park, on an eminence to the north-west of the village, is Croft-Ambury, an ancient British camp, with a double ditch and rampart.