Critchill, or Crichel, Long (St. Mary)
CRITCHILL, or CRICHEL, LONG (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Wimborne and Cranborne, hundred of Knowlton, Wimborne division of Dorset, 6½ miles (W. S. W.) from Cranborne; containing 120 inhabitants. This parish, which received its distinguishing appellation from its greater length in comparison with the adjoining parish of More-Critchill, is divided into two tythings, Critchill-Gouis and Critchill-Lucy, so named from their ancient lords. It comprises 1867 acres, of which 730 are common or waste. The living is a rectory, united in 1774 to that of More-Critchill, and valued in the king's books at £12. 13. 8½.; the glebe consists of 110 acres. The church has a good tower at the west end, with a massive buttress on its north side. Some vestiges of a Roman road may be traced.