Cringleford (St. Peter)
CRINGLEFORD (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Henstead, hundred of Humbleyard, E. division of Norfolk, 3 miles (S. W. by W.) from Norwich; containing 191 inhabitants. It comprises about 1200 acres, chiefly arable; and derives its name from an ancient gravelly ford, which has been superseded by a stone bridge, over the river Yare, separating the liberties of Norwich from the county. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £205; patrons and impropriators, the Trustees of St. Giles' Hospital, Norwich. The church is in the later English style, with a square embattled tower. Within the parish was once a free chapel, dedicated to St. Ethelred, to which pilgrims used to resort in great numbers.