Crick (St. Margaret)
CRICK (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Rugby, hundred of Guilsborough, S. division of the county of Northampton, 6½ miles (N. by E.) from Daventry; containing 1006 inhabitants. This place was visited by the army of Fairfax, which rested here on the night previous to the battle of Naseby, when the church and rectory-house were unroofed and otherwise damaged. The parish is situated on the borders of Warwickshire, and intersected by the road from Northampton to Coventry: it comprises by measurement 3271 acres; the surface is rather hilly, and the soil various, in some parts clayey, in others gravelly and sandy. The manufacture of worsted stockings was formerly carried on to some extent, but has been discontinued. Coarse limestone is found, and used for flags, and occasionally for building. A nameless rivulet, which flows into the Avon near Dovebridge, has its source within the parish; and the Grand Union canal, connecting Leicester with the Grand Junction canal, passes through a tunnel 1524 yards in length. The Crick station on the London and Birmingham railway is within two or three miles. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £32. 13. 1½.; net income, £890; patrons, the President and Fellows of St. John's College, Oxford: the tithes were commuted for 560 acres of land in 1776. The church is a spacious and handsome structure, in the decorated English style, with a square embattled tower; the window of the chancel has been lately restored, and is a very beautiful specimen of flowing tracery: the stained glass with which the windows generally were embellished was destroyed by the soldiers of Fairfax. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans. The Roman Watling-street skirts the western boundary of the parish, where Roman antiquities have been found; and there are tumuli in various parts. Archbishop Laud was rector of the parish for seven years.