Crendon, Long (St. Mary)
CRENDON, LONG (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Thame, hundred of Ashenden, county of Buckingham, 2¼ miles (N. by W.) from Thame; containing 1656 inhabitants, a few of whom are employed in the manufacture of needles. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £134; patron, Lord Churchill. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1824. The church is a spacious edifice, with a tower rising from the centre. There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists. Sir John Dormer, Knt., who was buried in the church, bequeathed a rent-charge of £26, which is distributed among the poor. Walter Giffard, Earl of Buckingham, and his countess, in 1162 built and endowed the abbey of Nutley here for Regular canons of the order of St. Augustine; it was dedicated to the Virgin Mary and St. John the Baptist, and at the Dissolution possessed a revenue valued at £495. 18. 5.: the remains have been converted into a farmhouse.