Creeting (St. Mary)
CREETING (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Bosmere and Claydon, E. division of Suffolk, 1½ mile (N. N. E.) from Needham-Market; containing 196 inhabitants. The road from Ipswich to Norwich, and the Stow-Market and Ipswich navigation, run through the parish. The living is a discharged rectory, with those of Creeting St. Olave and All Saints consolidated, valued in the king's books at £7. 14. 2., and in the patronage of Eton College: the tithes have been commuted for £750, and the glebe comprises 62 acres, with a glebe-house. The church was enlarged when that of All Saints was taken down; the entrance on the south is by a Norman doorway, and the font is of Caen stone, curiously sculptured. About 42 acres of town-land are applied to the use of the poor, to whom Mrs. Uvedale, the lady of Rear-Admiral Uvedale, left in 1814 £300. Here was a cell to the abbey of Bernay, in Normandy, the revenue of which, at the suppression of alien establishments, was applied towards the endowment of Eton College.