Creeksea, or Crixeth (All Saints)
CREEKSEA, or Crixeth (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Maldon, hundred of Dengie, S. division of Essex, 2 miles (N. W. by W.) from Burnham; containing 199 inhabitants. This parish is bounded by the river Crouch, over which is a ferry to Wallasea Island, from the south side of the parish, where the marshes are protected from inundation by strong embankments nine feet in height. Near the mouth of the river is a creek flowing from the sea, from which the place is supposed to have derived its name. The living is a discharged rectory, with the vicarage of Althorne united in 1811, valued in the king's books at £9. 8. 10.; patron, J. Robinson, Esq. The tithes of Creeksea have been commuted for £241, and the glebe consists of 21 acres. The church is a neat plain edifice.