Creaton, Great (St. Michael)
CREATON, GREAT (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Brixworth, hundred of Guilsborough, S. division of the county of Northampton, 7¼ miles (N. N. W.) from Northampton; containing 505 inhabitants. The parish is intersected by the road from Northampton to Welford, and comprises 938 acres; the soil is partly red sand, and partly loam, alternated with clay. The population is entirely agricultural, with the exception of a few persons employed in the making of lace. The village is built on the north side of a hill, at a short distance from the public road; in the centre of it is a pleasant green, formerly covered with wormwood. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 1. 8., and in the gift of the Rev. E. T. Beynon: the tithes were commuted in 1782, for 148a. 3r. 37p. of land, now valued at £260 per annum. The church is situated on an eminence. There is a place of worship for Independents. Near the church is a national school for boys and girls, with a master's house, built in 1845, on a rood of the rectory ground; it is supported by subscription. In 1825, six cottages for the accommodation of aged people were built on the green by the Rev. Thomas Jones, fifty years minister of the parish.