Cray, St. Paul's (St. Paulinus)
CRAY, ST. PAUL'S (St. Paulinus), a parish, in the union of Bromley, hundred of Ruxley, lathe of Sutton-at-hone, W. division of Kent, 1 mile (S.) from Foot's-Cray; containing 564 inhabitants. It is situated on the small stream of the Cray, which here turns a paper-mill employing about 30 men and 40 women. The parish comprises 1651 acres, of which 191 are woodland. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 13. 4., and in the gift of Viscount Sidney: the tithes have been commuted for £486, and the glebe contains upwards of 12 acres, wlth a glebe-house. The church has some interesting specimens of architecture; it is supposed to have been built about the middle of the 13th century, and its vestry, part of the walls of which are of Roman brick, to have been originally a chapel. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. In a wood near Paul's-Cray Common is a strong chalybeate spring, formerly of some repute in the neighbourhood, but now almost entirely disused; its waters resemble those of Tonbridge-Wells. Lord Wynford resides at the seat called Leesons, in the parish, which is delightfully situated on the border of the common, commanding extensive views over the country towards Essex.