Crawley (St. John the Baptist)
CRAWLEY (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of East Grinstead, hundred of Buttinghill, rape of Lewes, E. division of Sussex, 9½ miles (N. by W.) from Cuckfield; containing 449 inhabitants. The parish comprises 769a. 2r., of which 185 acres are arable, 119 pasture, 129 plantation, and 318 waste. Crawley is a post-town, consisting of one wide street, in which stands a remarkably fine old elm-tree of immense girth: the houses on the west side of the village are in the parish of Ifield. The London and Brighton road passes through; and not far distant is the Three-Bridges station of the London and Brighton railway, where the Horsham line branches off. Fairs for hornedcattle are held on May 8th and September 29th. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 15., and in the gift of the family of Clitherow: the tithes have been commuted for £86. 14., and the glebe contains nearly 29 acres, and a glebe-house. The church is partly in the decorated and partly in the later English style; a gallery was erected in 1827.