Cratfield (St. Mary)
CRATFIELD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Blything, E. division of Suffolk, 7 miles (W. S. W.) from Halesworth; containing 720 inhabitants, and comprising 2085 acres, of which 103 are common or waste. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Laxfield annexed, valued in the king's books at £5. 7. 11., and in the gift of the Rev. E. Hollond: the impropriate tithes, belonging to the Hudson family, have been commuted for £403, and the vicarial for £115; there is a glebe-house, with about 6 acres of land. The church, which is chiefly in the later English style, consists of a nave, chancel, and aisles, with an embattled tower; the font has some curious sculptures, representing scriptural subjects. There is a place of worship for Independents. A national school was endowed with £9. 6. 8. per annum, under the will of Mrs. Mary Leman, dated 1805; and there are town lands, which let for about £200 per annum, applied to the repairs of the church, and to general purposes.