Cranworth (St. Mary)
CRANWORTH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Mitford, W. division of Norfolk, 2 miles (S. S. E.) from Shipdham; containing 340 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the south by a tributary to the river Yare, and comprises 1127 acres, of which 809 are arable, 279 pasture, and 5 woodland. The living is a rectory, with that of Letton consolidated, valued in the king's books at £5. 18. 6½., and in the gift of T. T. Gurdon, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £214. 8., and the glebe comprises 28 acres, with a handsome rectory-house. The church is in the early and later English styles, with a tower surmounted by a neat spire; there are several monuments to the Gurdon family. About 11 acres of land are let to the poor by the rector, in small allotments.