Cranwich (St. Mary)
CRANWICH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Thetford, hundred of Grimshoe, W. division of Norfolk, 6 miles (N.) from Brandon; containing 108 inhabitants. It comprises 1800 acres, of which 1000 are arable, 400 meadow and pasture, 100 woodland, and 200 heath. The living is a discharged rectory, with the vicarage of Methwold annexed, valued in the king's books at £8. 9. 7.; net income, £450; patron, Lord Berners. The tithes have been commuted for £180, and there is a glebe-house, with 19½ acres of land. The original church was a very ancient structure, supposed to have been erected by Harold, one of whose freemen held a moiety of this place in the time of Edward the Confessor; the present structure is chiefly in the early English style, with a circular tower, and contains, in the chancel, a piscina, and some monuments to the Partridge family.