Cranley (St. Nicholas)
CRANLEY (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Hambledon, Second division of the hundred of Blackheath, W. division of Surrey, 8 miles (S. W.) from Guildford, on the road to Brighton; containing 1357 inhabitants. The parish comprises 7494 acres, of which 4500 are arable, upwards of 500 meadow and pasture, and the remainder in about equal portions of woodland and waste: the village extends for more than a mile over the common. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20. 18. 1½.; patron, F. Sapte, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £1582, and the glebe consists of above 200 acres. The church is a large and handsome edifice in the ancient English style, having a richly ornamented chapel, inclosed with curious and elegant lattice-work, at the termination of each aisle. There is a small meeting-house. At Vatchery are foundations, encompassed by a moat, of the baronial residence of the lords of Shere; and near them is a large reservoir of water, comprising about 70 acres, for supplying the Wey and Arun Junction canal, which passes through the parish. Cranley gives the title of Viscount to the Earl of Onslow.