Cranham (St. James)
CRANHAM (St. James), a parish, in the union of Stroud, hundred of Rapsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 2½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Painswick; containing 428 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1823 acres. A few persons are employed in the manufacture of earthenware; and there are quarries of stone of good quality for building, and also for paving. The road from Cheltenham to Bath passes on the north-west, and that from Cheltenham to Stroud on the south, of the parish. The living is a discharged rectory, consolidated with that of Brimpsfield, and valued in the king's books at £6. 6. 8. The church is a neat ancient structure. There is a place of worship for Baptists.