CRANAGE, a township, in the parish of Sandbach, union of Congleton, hundred of Northwich, S. division of the county of Chester, 3¾ miles (E. N. E.) from Middlewich; containing 512 inhabitants. The township comprises 1736 acres, of a light soil. In the reign of Henry VI. a bridge of stone was erected across the river Dane here, at the expense of Sir John Nedham, but a few years ago it gave place to the present structure, from a design by Mr. Harrison, of Chester. A beautiful viaduct of 23 arches, carries the Manchester and Birmingham railway over the valley of the Dane. The great tithes have been commuted for £44, and the vicarial for £111. Thomas Hall, Esq., erected two schools, one of which he endowed with £10, and the other with £4, per annum.