COXWELL, LITTLE, a chapelry, in the parish, union, and hundred of Farringdon, county of Berks, 1½ mile (S.) from Farringdon; containing 315 inhabitants, and comprising 842a. 3r. 13p. The chapel is dedicated to St. Mary. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1801. The remains of a camp, apparently in the form of a square, are visible here, the double ditch on the western side being nearly entire; and in an inclosed field of about fourteen acres are 273 pits, called Cole's Pits, excavated in the sand, and varying in depth, supposed to have been habitations or hiding-places of the ancient Britons.