COXLODGE, a township, in the parish of Gosforth, union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 2 miles (N.) from Newcastle; containing 924 inhabitants. The township comprises 800a. 1r. 14p., of which 691 acres are arable, 106 meadow and pasture, and 2½ wood. The surface is rather level, but rising gradually from the south towards the north; the soil is a strong clay, and, though much of it requires good draining to render it more productive, grows fair crops of wheat. The views embrace in the distance the Simonside and Cheviot hills. From the openness of the country to the west and north, and the extent of town moor on the south, the air is very salubrious, and is considered the best in the neighbourhood of Newcastle. An excellent seam of coal has been in work here for fifty years past; a railway conveys the coal to the river Tyne, and the great north road passes on the east of the township. The Newcastle races are run on the adjoining moor, which, with the Leazes, contains 1600 acres. There is a windmill-pump in the township, for raising water to supply a reservoir on the moor, near Newcastle. The tithes have been commuted for £85. 9. 9. payable to the Bishop of Carlisle, a similar sum to the Dean and Chapter, and £17. 3. 2. to the vicar of Newcastle.