Cowton, East (St. Mary)
COWTON, EAST (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Northallerton, wapentake of Gilling-East, N. riding of York, 7 miles (N. E. by E.) from Catterick, and 8 (N. W. by N.) from Northallerton, the post-town; containing 454 inhabitants. It comprises 3144a. 3r., of which 1743 acres are arable, and the remainder meadow and pasture: the surface is low, but undulated, with many commanding prospects: the soil is clay, partially gravelly, with beds of sand. A station on the York and Newcastle railway has been established at the place. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 6. 10½.: the patronage is attached conditionally to the Mastership of Kirkby-Ravensworth Hospital; otherwise it belongs to the Wardens and Hospitallers. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £270, and the vicarial for £213. 6. 8.; the glebe consists of half an acre. The church is a small edifice. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists. A free school, founded by the Dakyn family in 1556, has an annuity of about £24, arising from the estates bequeathed to the above-mentioned hospital.