COWSBY, a parish, in the union of Thirsk, wapentake of Birdforth, N. riding of York, 6¼ miles (N. N. E.) from Thirsk; containing 108 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1167a. 1r. 30p., of which about 510 acres are arable, 429 meadow and pasture, and 134 moor; the surface is beautifully diversified with hill and dale, and richly clothed in many parts with wood. Cowsby Hall, an excellent mansion, is the seat of the Lloyd family, who are lords of the manor, and proprietors of the lands. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 11. 0½., and in the patronage of Mrs. Lloyd: the tithes have been commuted for £125, and the glebe comprises 19 acres. The church was taken down and rebuilt, and consecrated in April, 1846: it is in the Norman style, with a tower and spire, and of exceedingly chaste design: the cost was defrayed by the Lloyd family. Here is an hospital for four parishioners, endowed with £10 per annum, and supposed to have been founded by Lord Crewe.