Cowbit (St. Mary)
COWBIT (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Spalding, wapentake of Elloe, parts of Holland, county of Lincoln, 3½ miles (S. by E.) from Spalding; containing 664 inhabitants. The road from Spalding to Peterborough by Crowland, passes through the village, and the navigable river Welland runs parallel with the road on the west. A small pleasure-fair is held in June. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £460; patrons, certain Feoffees: the tithes were commuted for land, in 1800; the glebe consists of 350 acres, with a glebe-house. The church was consecrated in 1486, with the cemetery, by Bishop Russell, and was, previously to that year, a chantry to the abbey of Spalding. Major-General Dyson, owner of the estate of Peakill, in the parish, has lately erected two elegant tablets in the chancel, one in memory of his father, James Dyson, Esq., for many years solicitor to the Admiralty and Navy; and has also presented an excellent organ, and a beautiful altar window. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.