Cowarne, Much (St. Mary)
COWARNE, MUCH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bromyard, hundred of Broxash, county of Hereford, 5 miles (S. S. W.) from Bromyard; containing 557 inhabitants. A small stream, a branch of the river Froome, flows from north to south through this parish, which comprises by measurement 3550 acres. The soil is clayey, and the surface flat, with a spot of rising ground called Greatfield, abounding in gravel, sand, and stones, all set in regular layers, which formation is supposed to be of diluvial origin. The road between Hereford and Bromyard intersects the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £14. 19. 7.; net income, £280; patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The site of the glebehouse, and the ground attached, consist of 2a. 3r. The church, having been almost totally destroyed in January, 1840, through the steeple being struck by lightning, has been rebuilt: in the chancel, which was the only part of the church saved, are the figure of a knight-errant, and a monument containing a recumbent effigy of a lady of the name of Reede, with four small figures kneeling by her side, over which is a curious Latin inscription.