Covenham (St. Bartholomew)
COVENHAM (St. Bartholomew), commonly called Cawthorpe, a parish, in the union of Louth, wapentake of Ludborough, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 6 miles (N. N. E.) from Louth; containing 277 inhabitants. It comprises 1434a. 1r. 28p., and is watered at its eastern extremity by the river Ludd, from which a canal runs to Tetney Haven, at the mouth of the Humber. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 12. 8.; net income, £287; patrons, the Heirs of Sapsford Harold, Esq., for one turn, and of the Rev. C. D. Holland, for two turns. The tithes of this parish, and of Covenham St. Mary, were commuted for corn-rents, under an inclosure act, in 1793. The glebe consists of about 62 acres in this parish, and 2½ in that of Grainthorpe. The church contains a curious octagonal font, much admired by antiquaries; and in the chancel is an effigy in metal of John Skypwyth, Knt., who was interred here in July, 1415. The church-land comprises 26 acres, allotted at the inclosure. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans.