Courteenhall (St. Peter and St. Paul)
COURTEENHALL (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Hardingstone, hundred of Wymersley, S. division of the county of Northampton, 5½ miles (S.) from Northampton; containing 143 inhabitants. This place is situated between the two roads from Northampton to London, one by Newport-Pagnell and the other by Stony-Stratford, and is within a mile of the Roade station of the London and Birmingham railway: the Grand Junction canal passes within two miles. The number of acres is 1314, mostly pasture. There is a quarry of limestone used for building and draining. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 10. 10., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £300, and the glebe comprises 60 acres, with a glebe-house. The church, supposed to have been built about the year 1587, is a neat structure, having some fine arches in the later English style; on the north side is a handsome monument, representing in full length Sir Samuel Jones, a former possessor of the estate, who provided the church with a set of bells. A free grammar school for boys was founded in 1680, by Sir Samuel, who bequeathed £500 for the erection of a school-house, a rent-charge of £80 for the master, and another of £20 for the usher. The same benefactor bequeathed £500 for repairing the church.