COUPLAND, a township, in the parish of Kirk-Newton, union of Glendale, W. division of Glendale ward, county of Northumberland, 4½ miles (N. W.) from Wooler; containing 109 inhabitants. The township is bounded on the east by the river Till, and on the south-west by the Glen, and comprises about 800 acres, mostly arable land, with 70 acres of plantation; the surface is level, and the soil of a light gravelly quality. Coupland Castle was enlarged in 1820, from a peelhouse, of which the walls have been preserved. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £106. 10., and the vicarial for £40. 10.