Coupe and Lenches, with Newhall-hey, and Hall-Carr
COUPE and LENCHES, with Newhall-hey, and Hall-Carr, a township, in the parish of Bury, union of Haslingden, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 4¼ miles (S. S. E.) from Haslingden; containing 1716 inhabitants. These places comprise 1545 acres, of which 230 are common or waste; they lie on the banks of the Irwell, and on the confines of the hundred of Salford. The inhabitants are actively engaged in the cotton and woollen manufactures. Coupe Law is a bold eminence commanding an extensive view. Part of the township is in the ecclesiastical district of Rawtenstall. The tithes have been commuted for two rent-charges of £2. 12. 6. each, payable to the rectors of Bury and Prestwich-cum-Oldham.