Cound (St. Peter)
COUND (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Atcham, hundred of Condover, S. division of Salop, 6½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Shrewsbury; containing, with the chapelry of Cressage, 808 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Shrewsbury to Worcester, and washed on the north-east by the navigable river Severn. It abounds with richly diversified and wildly romantic scenery, and comprises by computation 5071 acres, of which 1543 belong to Cressage; the surface is slightly undulated. There are two quarries, from which is obtained a species of white freestone, lately used in rebuilding the chapel at Cressage. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £33, and in the patronage of Mrs. Frances Thursby: the tithes have been commuted for £619, and the glebe consists of 93 acres, with a glebe-house. The church is in the later English style, and contains monuments to the memory of the Cresset, Fowler, Dod, Wilde, and Langley families; the pulpit is a handsome specimen of ancient carved oak. Dr. Edward Cresset, Bishop of Llandaff, who had been rector of this parish, and possessed the principal property in it, lies buried here.