Coulsdon (St. John the Evangelist)
COULSDON (St. John the Evangelist), a parish, in the union of Croydon, First division of the hundred of Wallington, E. division of Surrey, 5 miles (S. by W.) from Croydon; containing 1041 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from London to Brighton, occupies an elevated position, and commands extensive and varied prospects; it comprises 3648 acres, exclusively of 550 of down land, and the Brighton railway passes a little to the west. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £21. 16. 5½., and in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury: the tithes have been commuted for £858, and the glebe comprises 80¾ acres. The church, consisting of a nave, chancel, and aisles, with a tower and spire, has been thoroughly repaired and stuccoed, and is a very pleasing object. The Roman road out of Sussex passed through the parish: on Farthing Downs are dykes which seem to have been thrown up as a barricade, and on the high part of the downs are several small barrows.