Coughton (St. Peter)
COUGHTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Alcester, Alcester division of the hundred of Barlichway, S. division of the county of Warwick, 2 miles (N. by W.) from Alcester; containing, with the hamlet of Sambourn, 955 inhabitants. It lies in the western part of the county, on the border of Worcestershire, which bounds it on the west; and comprises 4079 acres: the river Arrow flows from north to south, and roads from Birmingham and Bromsgrove to Alcester unite here. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 10. 7½.; net income, £161; patron and impropriator, Sir R. Throckmorton, Bart.: the tithes were commuted for land in 1773. The church has been repaired, and 158 additional sittings have been provided. There is a place of worship for Roman Catholics.