COTTON, a township, in the parish of Alveton, union of Cheadle, S. division of the hundred of Totmonslow, N. division of the county of Stafford, 5¼ miles (N. E.) from Cheadle; containing 519 inhabitants. It includes the hamlets of Upper and Lower Cotton, and comprises 2272 acres of land. Here is abundance of excellent limestone, of which extensive quarries are worked by the Trent and Mersey Canal Company. At Lower Cotton is a chapel dedicated to St. John the Baptist, built in 1795, at the expense of the late Thomas Gilbert, Esq., who partly endowed it, and left the payment of the repairs a charge upon his property. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £44; patron, Thomas Gilbert, Esq.; impropriator, John Bill, Esq.