Cottingham (St. Mary Magdalene)
COTTINGHAM (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Kettering, hundred of Corby, N. division of the county of Northampton, 2 miles (S. W. by W.) from Rockingham; containing, with the township of Middleton, 1033 inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurement 3286 acres of arable and pasture, and about 845 of woodland: this includes a portion of Rockingham Forest (1279 acres), by the addition of which the parish was enlarged in 1833. The road from Rockingham to Market-Harborough passes through. The village stands about half a mile to the south of the Welland, which bounds the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £23. 7. 3½.; net income, £426; patrons, the Principal and Fellows of Brasenose College, Oxford: there are 53 acres of glebe, and a house. The church, built in the 14th century, is a neat structure with a spire; the interior was restored, and two galleries added, in 1839. The Methodists have a place of worship; and a parochial school is endowed with £10 per annum. In an ancient record it is stated that a house for leprous persons existed here in the time of Henry III. A massive ring of pure gold was found in 1841, on the borders of Rockingham Forest, apparently of great antiquity, and in good preservation; it is inscribed in Saxon characters with legends supposed to be of talismanic character, and was probably worn as an amulet.