Cottesmore (St. Nicholas)
COTTESMORE (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Oakham, hundred of Alstoe, county of Rutland, 4¼ miles (N. N. E.) from Oakham; containing, with the chapelry of Barrow, 670 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from the great north road to Oakham, and comprises 3379a. 2r. 20p. The surface is mostly flat, except on the west side, where it forms a hill of considerable elevation; the soil is in general a light clay, and in some parts a reddish loam, resting on red sandstone, or on limestone rock. The parish is intersected by the Oakham canal. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £25. 16. 3.; net income, £893; patron, the Earl of Gainsborough. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1799; the glebe comprises 785a. 3r. 29p., with a glebe-house. At the hamlet of Barrow, a very neat chapel of ease has been built by the Rev. H. W. Nevile. Richard Westbrook Baker, Esq., of agricultural celebrity, and who was presented with a valuable service of plate in 1841, as a testimonial of respect, by eleven hundred subscribers, has his residence in the parish.