Cottesbrooke (All Saints)
COTTESBROOKE (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Brixworth, hundred of Guilsborough, S. division of the county of Northampton, 9¾ miles (N. N. W.) from Northampton; containing 252 inhabitants. It is situated between the roads leading from Northampton to Market-Harborough and to Welford, and on the north-west side adjoins Naseby Field, where the celebrated battle so disastrous to Charles I., and decisive of his fate, was fought in 1645. The parish comprises 2747a. 3r. 16p.; the surface is diversified with hill and dale, the soil is generally clayey, and chiefly in meadow and pasture: the lands are watered by two brooks which flow in a south-eastern direction. Cottesbrooke Park is the seat of Sir James Hay Langham, Bart.; the mansion, a handsome structure of stone and brick, and having two wings, was built about 1712. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £26. 0. 10., and in the gift of Sir James H. Langham: the tithes have been commuted for £646. 12., and the glebe consists of about two acres, with a glebe-house. The church, which is admired for its architecture, is in the decorated style; it has a tower containing seven bells, and in the interior are several ancient monuments, some of which were defaced and mutilated by Cromwell's soldiers after the battle of Naseby. An hospital for two widowers and six widows was founded by Alderman Langham (afterwards Sir John Langham) in 1651, and endowed with 53 acres of land. A cell of Præmonstratensian canons existed here, foundations of which have been dug up, the site appearing to have been surrounded by a moat. In the autumn of 1836, as some labourers were digging a well close to the park walls, they threw up some fossil bones, highly mineralized, in the midst of the lias clay which forms the bed of the stratum in that place; they have proved to be the vertebræ and coracoid bones of a species of plesiosaurus, and have been deposited in the Clarendon, at Oxford.