Cottesbach (St. Mary)
COTTESBACH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Lutterworth, hundred of Guthlaxton, S. division of the county of Leicester, 1½ mile (S. by W.) from Lutterworth; containing 82 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the Banbury and Lutterworth road; it is bounded on the west by the Watling-street, and on the north-west by the little river Swift, and comprises by computation 1220 acres, which consist principally of rich pasture land, ornamented with oak, ash, and elm trees. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 6. 8.; net income, £106; patron and incumbent, the Rev. J. P. Marriott: the glebe consists of about 25 acres, with a glebe-house. The church is in the decorated style. Several Roman antiquities were discovered in the vicinity of the Watling-street a few years ago, comprising spear-heads, urns, beads, clasps, skulls, &c. In one part of the parish, the springs have the quality of petrifying whatever falls into them. Dr. Edward Wells, author of the well-known Geography of the Old and New Testaments, and several other works, was rector of the parish for many years.