Cotterstock (St. Andrew)
COTTERSTOCK (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Oundle, hundred of Willybrook, N. division of the county of Northampton, 2 miles (N. N. E.) from Oundle; containing 204 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the left bank of the river Nene, and consists of 675a. 2r. 6p. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Glapthorn united; net income, £91; patron and impropriator, the Earl of Westmoreland: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1813. The church, with its tower, is an interesting edifice, exhibiting portions in every style of English architecture, and some remains of stained glass in the fine tracery of the windows. It anciently had a college for a provost, twelve chaplains, and two clerks, founded in 1336, by John Gifford, a canon in the cathedral of York; three stone stalls still remain in the chancel. In 1658, Clement Bellamy bequeathed land, producing about £20 per annum, for two exhibitions to scholars at Cambridge, and for apprenticing children; this parish is entitled to a fourth share. In the vicinity are numerous vestiges of Roman works, and of a continued chain of fortification extending from Gloucester to Northampton, erected by Ostorius Scapula, pro-prætor of Britain in the reign of the emperor Claudius: a Roman tessellated pavement of great beauty was discovered in the parish within the last fifty years.