Cottered (St. Mary)
COTTERED (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Buntingford, hundred of Odsey, county of Hertford, 3 miles (W.) from Buntingford; containing 465 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1755 acres, and is intersected by a cross-road between Baldock and Buntingford. The living is a rectory, with that of Broadfield annexed, valued in the king's books at £20. 8. 6½.; net income, £348; patron, W. Brown, Esq.: the tithes were commuted for 315 acres of land, under an inclosure act, in 1806, and there are 10 acres of ancient glebe, with a glebe-house. The church consists of a nave and chancel, in the later English style, but has, by various alterations, been deprived of its general unity of design; it contains a beautiful marble font. Schools were built by Mr. Henry Soames, in 1829, and endowed with a rent-charge of £40.