COTMANHAY, an ecclesiastical parish or district, in the union of Basford, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby, 1½ mile (N.) from Ilkeston; containing 2200 inhabitants. This district comprises the liberty of Shipley, in Heanor parish, and the hamlet of Cotmanhay, in the parish of Ilkeston; and is bounded on the east by the river Erewash, which is also the boundary here between the counties of Derby and Nottingham. It lies along the valley of the Erewash; and parallel to the river are the Erewash canal and the Erewash-Valley railway, which connect the coal districts of Derbyshire and Nottingham with the Trent navigation and the Midland railway, respectively. The Nutbrook canal, which joins the Erewash canal, terminates in the centre of this district; it was made for the transit of minerals from the extensive coal-fields of Shipley, Ilkeston, and West Hallam. The district abounds in coal and ironstone: the latter, in consequence of the increased trade in iron, is of more value than formerly; furnaces have been lately erected in the neighbourhood, and the population has been much increased by the influx of labourers employed in raising the stone. The manufacture of stockings is extensively carried on. The district was formed in November 1845, under the act 6th and 7th of Victoria, cap. 37: the living is in the gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Lichfield, alternately; net income, £150. The church was erected in 1847, at a cost of about £2400.See Shipley.