COTHELSTON, a parish, in the union of Taunton, hundred of Taunton and Taunton-Dean, W. division of Somerset, 7 miles (N. W. by N.) from Taunton; containing 104 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road to Bridgwater. Limestone strata of blue lias are found; and some indications of copper being observed, an attempt at mining was made, but soon discontinued. Cothelston Hill is 1250 feet above the level of the sea, commanding an extensive view over eleven counties; on the summit is a round tower of great antiquity. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £58; patron, the Vicar of Kingston, to which church this was once a daughter church: the tithes are appropriate to the Dean and Chapter of Bristol, and have been commuted for £68. The church contains some interesting monuments to the Stowells, formerly possessors of the manor, which are placed in an aisle now belonging to the family of Esdaile.