Cotgrave (All Saints)
COTGRAVE (All Saints), a parish, in the union, and S. division of the wapentake, of Bingham, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 6 miles (S. E. by E.) from Nottingham; containing, with the hamlet of Stragglethorpe, 850 inhabitants. The parish comprises 3500a. 2r. 35p., exclusively of 102 acres of roads; a portion called the Wold, formerly an uncultivated tract, has been converted into rich arable land. The greater part of the surface is flat; the soil is partly a tenacious clay and partly a rich loam, and the high grounds on each side of the village abound in blue marl, intermixed with layers of red clay. Limestone of the blue lias formation is abundant, and is quarried for building and the roads, and for burning into lime; gypsum is also found. The Nottingham and Grantham canal intersects the parish. The "Court of St. John of Hierusalem," which was anciently held at Shelford, under the prior of St. John of Jerusalem, and then styled the "Master and Lieutenant's Court of Shelford," is held here, and has a common seal: its jurisdiction extends over various parishes, for which all wills are proved in this court, and to the tenants of which charters of exemption from toll throughout the king's dominions are granted. The living is a rectory, consisting of two consolidated medieties, the first valued in the king's books at £10. 7. 3½., and the second at £9. 14. 9½.; net income, £628; patron, Earl Manvers. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1790; the glebe altogether consists of 555 acres, with a glebehouse. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower crowned with pinnacles, and surmounted by a lofty octangular spire; the nave is parted from the aisles by slender clustered columns, and lighted by an elegant range of clerestory windows. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.