Costock, or Cortlingstock (St. Giles)
COSTOCK, or Cortlingstock (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Loughborough, S. division of the wapentake of Rushcliffe and of the county of Nottingham, 6 miles (N. N. E.) from Loughborough; containing 470 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road between Nottingham and Leicester, and watered by a brook which divides it into two parts: it comprises by computation 1500 acres, of which about one-third is wold, and the remainder in nearly equal portions arable and pasture land. Limestone is quarried for the uses of agriculture and building, and for the repair of roads. About thirty persons are employed in stocking-making, and a few women in spotting and running lace. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 18. 4.; net income, £395; patron, the Rev. Dr. Sutton. The tithes were partly commuted for land in 1760, about 450 acres still remaining subject to tithe; there is a good glebe-house, with about 200 acres of land. The church, which is supposed to have been built about the year 1300, appears to have lost much of its ancient beauty, having been probably desecrated during the troubles of the seventeenth century; it is now a plain edifice, the principal ornament of which is the window in the chancel. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.