COSELEY, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Sedgley, union of Dudley, N. division of the hundred of Seisdon, S. division of the county of Stafford; comprising the villages of Coseley and Brierley, with part of the village of Ettingshall, and containing 5683 inhabitants. This place is situated in the heart of a district abounding with mines of coal and ironstone; and the inhabitants are principally employed in the various branches of the iron-trade and other works in the neighbourhood, and in the manufacture of nails and screws, which is carried on to a great extent. A new branch of the Birmingham canal has been cut from Wolverhampton, passing through the district. The church, dedicated to Our Blessed Saviour, was erected in 1829, at an expense of £10,537, by grant of the Parliamentary Commissioners, and is a spacious building in the later English style, with a square embattled tower. The living is a district incumbency, in the patronage of Lord Ward; net income, £138, with a parsonage. There are places of worship for Particular and General Baptists, Wesleyans, and Unitarians. A Unitarian school, built in 1753, is endowed with £31 per annum; and there are some national schools, erected in 1833, at an expense of £580.