Cosby (St. Michael)
COSBY (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Blaby, hundred of Guthlaxton, S. division of the county of Leicester, 7 miles (S. S. W.) from Leicester; containing, with part of the hamlet of Little Thorpe, 1013 inhabitants. It comprises 2000 acres, consisting of arable and pasture land in about equal portions: the manufacture of stockings is carried on. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 15.; net income, £138, arising from land allotted under an inclosure act, in 1767, in lieu of tithes; patron, J. Pares, Esq.; impropriators, W. Hubbard, Esq., and others.